Six Responsible Employer Principles at Castrén & Snellman
As a responsible employer, we are committed to developing six principles:
- Non-discrimination and equality. We treat everyone equally and provide equal opportunities to everyone. We do not tolerate any kind of discrimination. We do not discriminate against people based on gender, age, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or other similar factors. We support opportunities to work and develop to people in different stages in life and seek to increase diversity in our firm. Our firm is a part of the Work Does Not Discriminate campaign organised by the Confederation of Finnish Industries (EK), which seeks to create a truly equal work culture in all of Finland.
- Flexibility and work-life balance. We continually develop ways to support work-life balance, for example, opportunities for remote work and various flexible working time solutions. We support our employees by investing in wellbeing, occupational health and a sense of community. We support our employees in balancing family life and work, for example, by offering mentoring to employees’ returning from parental leave and providing solutions to ease the day-to-day life of families with small children, such as care services for sick children.
- Investing in supervisor work. We invest in the implementation and development of a coaching leadership style. Based on our personnel’s expectations, we established shared leadership promises for the firm, which help us ensure that supervisor work is uniform and high-quality in every personnel group and team. We measure the success of supervisor work and the realisation of our leadership promises through 360 feedback surveys and develop our leadership skills through coaching and training.
- Content and meaningfulness of work. We work every day toward shared goals and behave according to our shared values. We communicate the direction we are moving in and discuss our targets together. We use personal development and target discussions to ensure that everyone is able to make use of their strengths and develop their skills. We help each other develop by fostering an environment of open feedback and by sharing our expertise with each other. We offer a variety of opportunities for employees to develop their expertise, for example, through secondments, mentoring and training.
- Fair pay. Our compensation is consistent and transparent and is based on clear principles and rules. We assess the requirements of positions to ensure that our compensation is competitive and corresponds as consistently as possible to different positions across the firm. We regularly benchmark our compensation practices and salary levels against different sectors, industries and operators. We comply with the salary recommendation for newly graduated lawyers of the Association of Finnish Lawyers. We have a bonus and incentive scheme, and we also recognise successes with other kinds of rewards.
- A good application experience. We put personal effort into every applicant. We make applying for a job as easy as possible, and we handle recruiting processes without unnecessary delays. Our communications are on time and informative throughout the process. We provide applicants with a comprehensive picture of the position and recruiting process and provide the opportunity to ask for additional information. We are transparent in our choices and justifications and provide constructive criticism to every applicant who asks for it.
We are participating in the Oikotie Responsible Employer campaign because we want to continue to develop ourselves as a responsible employer. The Responsible Employer campaign is Finland’s most comprehensive working life responsibility campaign and is intended to help promote responsible practices in Finnish working life together with employers.